Nothing is better than a warm, cozy fire on a cold winter night. Although they’re extra comfy, they pose a safety hazard if they aren’t cared for adequately. Chimneys accumulate soot, dirt, debris, and insect nests. If your fireplace isn’t cleaned on a regular basis, these things make their way into your home, affecting your ventilation and air quality. Over time, creosote (which is a mixture of chemicals) builds creating a thick layer of tar that’s incredibly hard to clean yourself. Not only does a dirty fireplace make your home extra smokey, but it increases the risk of a house fire.
The National Fire Protection Association recommends annual fireplace cleanings and inspections by a certified chimney sweep specialist for optimal safety and proper function. A Nobile Sweep is a premier chimney cleaning service in New Orleans. We offer inspections, cleaning and repairs to your chimney, fireplace or venting system. If you’ve been thinking “I need a reliable fireplace service near me”, look no further.
Before lighting that first fire of the season, reach out today to a fireplace cleaning specialist near you to ensure everything is clean and efficient. Here are some additional fireplaces safety tips to keep in mind this winter:
- Keep a window partially open while the fire is burning
- Ensure the damper is open before starting the fire
- Close the damper only when the embers have stopped burning completely
- Use dry wood
- Clean ashes out after a previous fire
- Get your chimney checked by a professional annually
- Consider a safety screen for small children or pets
- Avoid placing glass near the fireplace to minimize the risk of burns
- Remove any flammable devices around or within the vicinity of the fireplace
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors (check them monthly)
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the home
- Never leave a fire unattended, especially with children in the home